Skip to main content

48 hours in Bruges - the first half

Well I'm back in London again  after a fabulous couple of days in Bruges, Belgium. What a beautiful city.  Canals, beautiful medieval buildings and chocolate.  What's not to love?

Once I finally got to the station the Eurostar trip went smoothly and the change of trains in Brussels was painless.  Rail strikes here in England made getting to St Pancras station a challenge but thanks to Claudia working out a route I was okay.  It involved a bus and tube but I made it in lots of time although had to leave a lot earlier than I had planned to. The strikes are intensifying as Christmas approaches and there is talk now of the tube going on strike and the airports.  Where and when will it all end?   Anyway I am just a visitor so should keep my opinion to myself I guess. Three hours of actual travel time on the train and I was there.  I took the bus from the train station and was dropped off a couple of blocks from the Square although at the time I had absolutely no clue where I was.  A kind gentleman from South Africa looked up my hotel on his phone and sent me off according to his GPS...unfortunately it was in the wrong direction.  Luckily I asked someone before I had gone too far!  Finally I made my way to the Square (after asking a couple more people!) and found my hotel which was easily accessed from the right side of the Bell tower.  The hotel itself was a surprise as it was very modern.  My room was small - a "cozy single" but that was fine with me.  I got a deal of 59 Euro a night on hotels.com and the room rack rate was 190 euros.  Now I realize no one pays the rack rate but still it was a great deal.  My preference is airbnb but a hotel now and again is a fun indulgence.

By the time I got myself sorted and out again dusk was fast approaching.  There was a Christmas market in the Square which was fun.  I treated myself to some of those famous Belgian frites with mayo and a mulled wine and wandered around the area.



I had to take a picture of this - a stall in the Xmas market selling Canadian socks!

This was a couple of blocks from my hotel.



Belgian fries with mayo


I wandered around the streets for a bit until I got a bit chilled so stopped into a quiet cafe in the back streets for a mug of hot chocolate.  The proprietor was friendly and I loved the eclectic mix of furniture in the cafe.  I vowed to go back but never did make it - probably never could find it again anyway!

I then walked back to the market which was fun and lively before walking back to the hotel with a mulled wine. It was rather dank, dull and drizzling at times and I felt chilled so I retired to my room for the evening as the forecast said the weather would improve the next day. (and it did!) I can't seem to shake the cold I acquired somewhere over the Atlantic.

The next morning I was hungry - I realized I hadn't eaten since the fries which had been about 2:30 p.m.  So it was off to find something to eat - easier said than done.  I had my eye on a place that was supposed to open at 8:30 - it was still closed at 9:30 both mornings I was there.  I finally found someplace on the square (I had been hoping to go to a quieter place).  I had a croissant and cappuccino which is the usual European breakfast.

Then it was time to set off and do some exploring.  I am feeling lazy so will let my pictures do the talking...


This scene was just a few blocks from my hotel.  I was staying behind the tall belfry  shown in the photo.


Close up of the Belfry - I heard the bells ringing from my room as I was right behind it. Luckily it didn't chime all night!


There was a market going on in the square on Wednesday morning which didn't offend me being a market nut - however I resisted buying anything!



Church of Our Lady, Bruges




The grounds of the Beguine Convent.




The bridge is the entrance into the convent grounds.  This was a very popular area of Bruges for tourists - I can only imagine how crowded it would be in the summer!


I thought this fountain was very cool...and the carriage drivers took water from it for their horses.



View from one of the many bridges in Bruges.


Another view of Church of Our Lady.  I admire the architecture of these buildings and that's all I will say!!



And then it was time for lunch - a Belgian waffle with chocolate sauce at a small Christmas market.  First 24 hours done! (more or less...)

And it's time for me to get ready to head out for another day in London and my first cooked breakfast of the trip! Laters!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more