Skip to main content

Walking my socks off in Vancouver - Day 3

Finally, I am getting around to talking about my third day in Vancouver.  Day one involved a visit with my friend Darlene and exploring the local area she lives in as well as roaming around Queen Elizabeth Park. Day two was a walk with a friend in Lynn Canyon Park followed by a solo walk at Horseshoe Bay. Day three was a rather low key day compared to the other two but still a good one. I had a quick coffee and muffin and then walked around the downtown area a bit.

On the way I passed by this:


Right on!! 


A block later I saw this beautiful glass art work by Dale Chihuly.  I first fell in love with his work at the Desert Botanical Garden in Phoenix six years back and I must get back to Seattle to see more of his work!  (mental note to self:  next time you are in Vancouver make time to go down to Seattle!)

Then it was on to the harbour where I walked along Canada Place with beautiful views of the ocean - I am making a visit to this area a daily habit!


I could watch the seaplanes take off and land for hours....seriously..I could!


Then I walked along Canada Place which features the provinces and the cities/towns within them along the path.


The best city and the best province!!


More plane watching!!

I then hopped on the Seabus which leaves from Waterfront station arriving at Lonsdale Quay in North Vancouver a few minutes later.  My mission?  To visit the wonderful Lonsdale Quay market.  I had been there briefly the previous day with Verni as we had lunch there but I wanted to have a good look!  As it turned out I bought nothing...nor took any photos either.  Go figure.


But I got a great view across to downtown Vancouver!


Fountain behind the market.


I sat here for a while just enjoying the view across the water..then I went to an ice cream place I had seen the day before.  That's one of the many beauties of traveling alone...if you want ice cream for lunch you can damn well have it.  Verni had mentioned the day before when we were having lunch at the market that the TransCanada trail pavilion nearby was beautiful and she wanted to take me there but I had been too lazy to walk over.


Isn't it gorgeous?


I then got back on the seabus to downtown Vancouver where I took the bus to the Running Room on Denman St to register for the Stanley Park 5 km walk.  This is the first time in memory that I have not walked the entire seawall and I must confess my heart hurt as it's one of my favourite walks.  Not to worry; once my knee is fixed I will be back at it. (but it still doesn't stop me moaning and bitching and whining "I want my life back; this isn't me"!  Waaa..I am surprised my friends haven't bitch slapped me by now..I am sure they are tempted.) So off I went on a mini version of the walk I love so much.

It all started out pretty well...


I love this sculpture just outside Stanley Park on Georgia St.  A woman trying to find her glasses in her purse....can you see where they are?


View of the Vancouver Yacht club from Georgia St.


Getting closer to it...gorgeous backdrop of the North Shore mountains.


Oh oh...starting to cloud up a bit...


I carried on along the path until I came to the Totem Pole area; I never tire of these beauties.




I thought these Japanese school kids were cute.  Okay I confess I got a bit misplaced here and wandered around (and around) until I found the aquarium - with the help of others. (never be afraid to ask!)  By now it was raining so I got a bus back to Denman St.  I knew I wanted to eat but just didn't know what I wanted.  Don't you hate when that happens?  Nothing appealed so I headed along Robson St. thinking there would be something that would appeal.  I ended up having a couple of slices of pizza in a New York pizza joint.  Meh....nothing wrong with the pizza I had just wanted something a bit nicer...with wine...


I loved this sign!

I stopped in at the library along the way back to the hotel and grabbed a tea (because they had a cafe like all civilized libraries should have!) to take back to the room. It was still pelting rain so I was happy to get back to the room and cozy in for the evening.  It was off on the ferry to Salt Spring island  the next morning so it was time to pack up again!

Three days in Vancouver just was not enough for me; next time it will be longer!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more