Skip to main content

Day 8 on the Thames Path - Hampton Court to Shepperton

Time to hit the Thames Path once again!  I wasn't sure if I would be walking this path again as I just haven't been walking long distances lately for various reasons.  However the lure of my old friend the Thames was too strong so I decided to take my "happy pills" (one Aleve, one ibuprofin) and go for it.  Right now it's very convenient for me to walk the path as I am in South London two blocks from a railway station that is three stops from Clapham Junction which goes everywhere! 

So this morning about 10 a.m. I found myself back at Hampton Court railway station  - not joining the tourists heading across the bridge to the palace but heading across the street to the river.


Molesey Lock


A beautiful day for a walk and this part of the trail there were lots of walkers..and cyclists....this was leaving East Molesey which is the village opposite Hampton Court Palace. 

It felt so good to be back on the path and I had a spring to my step and a smile on my face.  I mean what's not to love? 


Tagg and Ash islands - if you look carefully you can see a swiss cottage behind and  between the two islands. 


The path ahead...


Former racecourse - now a park


Garrick's temple (dedicated to Shakespeare and built for actor Richard Garrick in 1755) with Hampton church on the left behind the trees.


Hampton church - completed in 1831 with all materials brought in by barge. 


The path was quite mucky at times from recent rain.  This part was actually quite good compared to parts that were quite low and narrow. 



I think benches along a walking path are the best memorial to a person ever....well to those of us who are walkers anyway!


Sunbury Lock

Time for a break at the Weir pub....

 



And the weir for which the pub is named...


Wheatley's Alt...these chalets were used by bachelors on weekends and holidays back in the late 19th century.  Later women were allowed to join them as long as they left by midnight!  Now they are second homes for families.



 



In order to cross over the river to Shepperton I had the choice of walking over Walton Bridge or taking a small ferry - well of course I opted for the ferry option!  I rang the bell (with glee I must add) and sat waiting...nothing much happening although luckily I hadn't been waiting long when I spotted a cyclist and asked him if he knew how long the ferry would take to show up.  He pointed out the sign to me...I had taken the easier option for my knees and gone down to the ferry back on the cycle route totally missing this sign.  Let's just say I was not pleased!  This now involved a good half hour walk back to the bridge so I had wasted an hour of my time...and more importantly an hour of my "happy pills" time as well. 



So back to walk over the bridge and do the alternate ending of the walk.  I got a bit misplaced but asked directions and was sent on my way - no more river walking though but a walk through a village.

After over a 9 mile walk I celebrated with a glass of wine at the Red Lion pub which was probably not a good idea...With not much food consumed so far that day nor enough water the wine hit me like a sledgehammer.  I finished drinking all my water (the wine was long gone)  and carefully made my way to the toilets.  I knew I was in for an interesting walk to the train station when I got the shock of my life...a dog driving a car!  I actually commented out loud "wow, a dog is driving that car" until a few seconds later it clicked in..."you're in England Laurie".  No one was around to hear thank goodness.  As I weaved my way along the street a fellow at a bus stop started singing "Moving along, moving along..." as I walked by...coincidence?   All I know is I stopped at a Costa coffee for a flat white to go to try to sober up.  Luckily a girl at the station helped me buy my ticket back to Streatham as I was outside the zone to use my Oyster card (top up card for London transport) and I just couldn't figure it out. (which I have a hard time with sober I must add)  I almost missed the train as well as I stupidly sat and looked at it - I swear to this day I did not hear him announce Clapham Junction in the list of places it was going.  However it was the end of the line and the train sat there for a while until I asked if it was going to Clapham Junction, I was told yes and I muttered something along the lines of "well I never heard that in the announcement"  and heaved myself onto the train arriving back here safe and sound.

Next time I will celebrate with a non alcoholic beverage...and hopefully next time will be SOON!  I thoroughly enjoyed my day on the Thames Path. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more