Skip to main content

Hopping on and off in Belfast

I don't usually do "Hop on, hop off" bus tours however this fit into what I wanted to do on my last day in Belfast.  Sadly it was a dull very rainy day but ah well...  The pass was for 48 hours but with just 24 hours remaining in Belfast before flying back to London I had to rush around and missed quite a bit. 

So let's carry on with my time in Belfast...when I wasn't on a black taxi tour or having the luck of the Irish with fabulous weather on the Antrim coast.

I stayed in an Airbnb home in Cliftonville which was full to bursting but our host Mary was lovely.  I've said it before and I will say it again... I love staying with locals.

First stop...the Titanic exhibition... which was marvelous. Okay confession time...I went to see this after the Black Taxi tour but it was part of the Hop-on/Hop off experience so I've included it in this post.   I've always been fascinated by the Titanic and this huge complex covers the "idea" of the Titanic right to where the bodies were buried and everything in between.  You even rode a cart through the air to show you how the monstrosity of a ship was built.  Amazing!   I spent quite a few hours here...In case you are wondering ....why Belfast?  It is a little known fact to some people but the Titanic was built here in the nearby ship yards. Fun fact:  on a personal note a member of my English family was involved in the creation of this fantastic exhibition.  But I'd still rave about it anyway!  The building is very eye-catching. 






We then drove by the Northern Ireland Assembly Building although I didn't get off as at this point it was raining and to be honest it did look a bit grim.


I did get off at St George's Market however...it's a lovely market that sells handicrafts, a bit of tourist tat and great produce as well as having many food vendors.  I did buy some hand-crafted chocolate..as a gift... and I had a delicious burger for lunch.





The present Market dates from the late 1800's and it's open Friday to Sunday.  Well worth a visit for this market fiend.



This is Queens University; I walked through the entrance and out the back to the Botanical Gardens.



The Palm House, built in 1840.




I had to keep dodging rain showers during my visit; I am sure it is a vision on a sunny day.

I had to laugh at the following..



Back on the bus again and this time I got off at the Shanklin Road (Protestant area); the guide on the bus said "take care" now. Hmmm.... It was interesting to get a close-up view rather than a drive-by as I had done on the Black Taxi tour.  While on the Black taxi tour somehow it was okay to get out and look at the murals on the Falls road but not on the Shanklin Road? 


Disturbing....






I guess it's not hard to tell where their allegiance lies.  The Red poppy cross above marks the site of a bomb blast.  I must admit I was a bit apprehensive but I relaxed and found the area....interesting?  Some of the murals made me uncomfortable and the Royalty thing was a little over the top but it was interesting. 

Back on the bus and a hop off in the pouring rain at the Crumlin Road Gaol (jail).  This prison was built between 1843 and 1845 and was closed in 1996.   Within its walls it has housed everyone from hardened criminals to poor working-class people who simply had to steal in order to survive.  Obviously the most famous "guests" were from The Troubles such as Bobby Sands, Ian Paisley and Michael Stone.  I took a tour of the facility which was interesting but of course very disturbing as well.  I will spare you pictures of the room where prisoners were executed.




Above is the tunnel from the jail to the (now closed) courthouse opposite - an underground tunnel for the prisoner's safety.  Or could it have been to shield them from the inclement weather?  (NOT) We also went outside to see the unmarked graves of prisoners who were executed here - in the pouring rain.  Rather a grim place but I am glad I visited.

Due to thinking I had missed the last hop on/hop off bus (it sailed by me a few minutes later) I walked back into town in the rain..sigh... of course the sun soon came out and I got a last look at the beautiful Belfast City Hall and the Titanic memorial...


 
The beautiful City Hall stands proudly as a centre point of the downtown area - conveniently right across from Belfast's wonderful tourist information centre. (which has some lovely touristy things to buy) 


This memorial in the grounds of City Hall lists everyone who died in the Titanic disaster......



I found downtown Belfast very interesting with some beautiful old buildings. 

Last but not least a here is a quick look at the Europa hotel - the most bombed hotel in Europe as Journalists stayed here during The Troubles and bombing this hotel was bound to get more press coverage.  Their motto?  "We never close".


And a glass of wine and meal at the famous Crown Bar finished the day...




I wish I could have taken one inside the bar as it was beautiful but it was very crowded and I did not feel comfortable taking photos. 

So we come to the end of a busy day in Belfast.  In the end I am happy I got to visit this city - it is someplace I never thought I would get to see.  Would I go back?  Probably not. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more