Skip to main content

Yes it's another dog post...

Okay this is all about dogs that I met on this last trip... if you don't like dogs....well...go away!  But do come back for the next blog post okay?  As most people know I am a huge dog lover and when traveling always gravitate towards any dog I see.  So here's some photos of the dogs I met on my journey...


Here's Emma, the dog I looked after for nearly four weeks over Christmas and New Years last year. 
Emma gets double coverage...looking plaintively in through the sliding doors..."Laurie please let me in, it's cold out here".  Emma does have a deep dark secret that only me and her owners know about...let's just say you don't want her kissing you as you just don't know what that mouth has eaten...


I saw this chap on Portobello Road in Notting Hill - this is how he walks his dog..well I assume he has to let the dog's legs hit the ground at some point....


Well it's a picture of a dog - love taking pictures of cute signs...


Dogs waiting - sadly I didn't have enough pictures for another "dogs waiting" blog post...but aren't they adorable?

 Local character in St Ives - she is owned by a fisherman and sometimes jumps out of the boat when they are out at sea.  Apparently she can be seen chasing seals in the harbour - unfortunately I missed that sight!


My friend Alison's Bearded Collie named Keisha on the way back from St Michaels Mount in Cornwall. 




This dog accompanied us from out hotel in Selcuk, Turkey to the train station.  I was worried about him/her getting hit by a car but I'm sure it was way more street savvy than I am.   When I looked out of the train window as were leaving it was still there hanging out to see us off. 



This Turkish dog had gotten into some kind of disagreement!  He seemed happy enough though.


From my experience stray dogs in Turkey were well cared for - their ears were tagged if they had been neutered/spayed and local business owners would leave food out for them.


This dog in Istanbul had been spayed/neutered but my heart went out to it - it looks so worried and sad...it touched my heart.  Then again I do have a soft spot for blonde dogs....

 These dogs in Madeira have a great view!!!


This dog who obviously lived in the area seemed to make it his/her mission to accompany people along a certain part of the levada walk in Madeira.   We saw it walking with another group of walkers as we carried on around the bend.  The dog avoided the scary bit - smarter than us!

This is Colleen, the dog who resided at my airbnb home by the sea in Dun Laoghaire, Dublin.  She hung out by the front door a lot always happy to say hi.  Like me she is getting up in years with arthritic knees so was happy to wag a hello and not make a fuss.


Another patiently waiting doggie in London back in March.  So cute!  My secret fantasy (well second favourite - the first one is not suited for publication!) is to look after a cute dog like this owned by rich "parents" who live in a beautiful home in  Kensington.  Then I can walk the dog in Hyde Park/Kensington Gardens.  (and live in style!) Some day Laurie, some day!


Yes this dog is sitting on my lap while I wait for a hair cut.  And yes, her toenails are painted bright pink... I saw her looking through the window at me at a hairdresser in Streatham and immediately booked an appointment.   Words of wisdom:  never go to a hairdresser just because they have a cute dog.  Trust me on this...


Okay even I know this isn't a real dog but this busker on the South Bank in London barked and yapped and acted like one.  Well I guess you had to be there....


Our airbnb host in Madeira:  Jorge and his doggie.  Pretty cute, eh? (and the dog ain't bad either!)


I stayed with a dog sitter in North London upon my return from Ireland...we got along great needless to say and traded 'war stories'.  Here is the doggie she was looking after at the very beginning of my stay - I believe her name was Layla.  Ann had been looking after her for months during work hours but her "mom" was taking the summer off so she wouldn't be coming back for a while.  This was her last day.


I LOVED this dog that hung out with us while we were waiting for a bus in Cappadocia.  So cute!


Seen in Vienna, Austria - could not get over the dog just sitting there.  Luckily my camera was out and I was able to get a quick shot as they whizzed by!

What can I say...I love dogs of all shapes and sizes.  They make me smile and isn't that always a good thing?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more