Skip to main content

The dogs (and cats) of Kas

Even though our time there was much too short I loved the Mediterranean town of Kas (pronunced Kosh)Turkey.  It had such a laid back vibe to it, appeared to have wonderful outdoor cafes and restaurants and dogs...lots of dogs.  And we know how I love my doggies!!  I am not a big shopper but I did enjoy the shops in Kas and bought most of my Turkish gifts (and jewellery for me, me, me as well) there.

So let's have the dogs and cats of Kas show you around a bit...

Okay but first here's some food...dogs or pizza? Which one do I love most?  Well it's a toss up there. We arrived to heavy rain and a power outage that we found out later covered most of the country. Luckily some of the restaurants had generators so we were able to order some pizza.  This vegetarian pizza (known as pide) was ALL for me. 


The rain finally stopped so I wandered around peeking in shops and taking some photos.





This dog was a much loved pet - some were pets and some were strays.  

This dog had been spayed/neutered.  The dogs are tagged when this is done.  As you can see food was left out for the dogs to eat.  From what I could see in general stray dogs are well cared for in Turkey.  Another reason to love the place.



The statue in the main square of Kas commemorates  Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881 - 1938), a revolutionary, army office and the he first President of Turkey.  He is credited with being the founder of the Republic of Turkey.  He has a very nice view of the harbour! (and the dogs like hanging out with him as well)

 
The picture below is of the restaurant we went to that evening called Friendly's - very unique (how can you not love a restaurant that has books?)  and the Shrimp Scampi I ordered was great!


The pictures are of President Ataturk...

Here comes the sun doo doo doo doo....the next morning dawned sunny and warm which was perfect as we were off for our day cruise .  Before we left me and my camera wandered around town a bit..




Here's a front view of the statue with a dog curled up beside it.




The cats get fed as well.  Okay I've run out of cat and dog picture and being as a dog wasn't willing to pose on the rocks for me here are some shots of the sea front and harbour at Kas.




I doubt if my travels will ever take me back to Kas but if I ever do return to Turkey I will certainly try to revisit and stay a few days for some R and R.  


Comments

Unknown said…
Very nice photos ! Lot of loose animals for sure , they must be quite street wise !

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more