Skip to main content

Hobbling around Howth

While in Dublin I stayed south of the city in the Dun Laoghaire (pronounced Dun Leery) area.  My airbnb room overlooked the sea....this is the view I woke up to every morning.  My first evening there I pulled the chair up to the window and just sat and stared.  I do love the ocean!


From now on I wouldn't stay anywhere else but the south coast of Dublin...with the DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) trains "darting" up and down the coast through central Dublin you are not far from anything.   It may be more expensive (especially when you shove your three day pass into the wrong slot and lose it - we won't mention any names here...) but totally worth it as far as I am concerned.  Waking up to fresh sea air and the screech of sea gulls can't be beat.  My airbnb was a steal at approximately $60 Cdn a night (plus service charge).   

So need I add I "darted"up and down the coast as much as I could in the time I had.  I still have unfinished business however...I need to spend more time in Dalky and I didn't make it to Malahide. 

After a sunny day exploring Dublin I decided to head north to the end of the DART line where the town of Howth awaited.  My airbnb host Sheila told me it was a lovely place to have fish and chips.

Was too tired to walk along the pier....next time!



Brightly coloured local houses
I was very hungry after walking all day in Dublin so didn't waste much time before I went hunting for fish and chips.  There were lots of restaurants along the water but the prices were ridiculous...I finally decided to just do it but was seated at one of those awful tables that are small with a high chair - like bar stools.  I thought "okay I'm paying 15 Euros for this?  I don't think so" and I got up and left... I am so happy I did as when I walked further along the high street  I discovered the local fish and chippy.  Apparently it's a very popular Dublin establishment.  I ordered Cod goujons (strips) with chips as it was the cheapest option (and I was in a cheap mood in case you couldn't tell) for less than half the price of the restaurant.   Nothing like sitting outside having fish and chips by the sea...even if you have to turn your back to the wind and hang onto your food for dear life in between the sea gulls eyeballing your meal and the danger of having napkins, boxes, etc. blow away. 


The best fish and chips I had on the trip

Having been given a "second wind" by the food I then headed up the hill to visit the Martello tower I had seen earlier.  These towers are all along the coast and were built in the early 1800's to defend Dublin against attacks by Napoleon.  They have been utilized for different things such as the Joyce Tower in Sandycove...this one was called the Hurdygurdy musem and apparently housed old phonographs, radios, etc.  It was deserted when I ventured up there or I would have been tempted to visit...



 The view from up here was gorgeous!!!


The harbour

Looking towards the town
Going back down the hill I stopped to admire the ruins of St Mary's Abbey from the road..I couldn't figure out how to get there and as I mentioned I was tired after a full day out.





I loved the design on this van!

I thoroughly enjoyed my short time in Howth.  My biggest regret is going at the end of the day when I was tired.  I hadn't done any research on Howth as I thought it was just a good place for fish and chips and it was something I decided to do on the spur of the moment. There is just so much to see there...the Howth website showcases beautiful walks, local attractions such as transport museum, a Celtic grave and even a castle.  Never mind, I will be back and next time I will spend a full day there!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more