Skip to main content

Czeching out Kutna Hora

Okay Okay I know that's such a cringe-worthy title but I couldn't resist. 

I visited my friend Claudia in northern Bavaria for a couple of days before we took a bus to Prague for five nights.  It was decided we should go to Kutna Hora as our day trip as it is one of the more popular places to visit.  I would have loved to have seen Cesky Krumlov but it was just too far of a journey and Claudia had been there already. Someday! (did it in 2017!) 

So on Monday April 20th we set off for the railway station.....Before we went down to the train platforms we checked out the old part of the Prague Railway station that was on the second floor..absolutely beautiful!


Then we got on a fairly old train...and found a compartment that wasn't too full.   We changed trains but I really don't know what the name of the place was - I was too busy scrambling down the steps from one and onto the other before the train took off.  There was a fellow on crutches and I really don't know how he managed but he did it. 

We arrived into Kutna Hora and proceeded to walk into the town.  It was not the most attractive area around the station and turns out we both were thinking "oh oh".....However once we reached the centre of town my mind was put at ease and it turned out to be quite a pretty little place.  After a light lunch (both Claudia and I love to eat so there is always lots of food involved when we are together) we headed off to see the sights.

Kutna Hora was at its peak in the Middle Ages when it was even bigger than London (really hard to believe but that's what the Berlitz guide says!).  The silver extracted from its mines funded the prosperity of Prague and the Bohemian Royal Court.  When the silver ran out Kutna Hora shrank to a third of its size and became a backwater. 


We walked by the huge Jesuit college which is now an art gallery (pass!)...the terrace along the front has 13 saints along it and was created to model the Charles Bridge in Prague.  Here are a few photos...as you can see it was a glorious day and the surrounding country side was beautiful.








From there it was a few steps to St Barbara's Cathedral which was beautiful on the outside...we never saw the inside as it is closed on Mondays. 



We then set off back down into the town stopping to admire some of the gorgeous buildings such as the Italian Court. 



View of St Barbaras Cathedral and the Jesuits college from afar


Italian court
As you can see the buildings were stunning. 

We then walked over to the Plague Column which was constructed between 1713 and 1715 in memory of victims of the Plague which killed thousands of local citizens in 1713.




Then on to the Stone fountain which was constructed in 1495.



Slowly we made our way back to the centre of town once again...



I have tried to find out what this building is but no luck...


Church of St John of Nepomuk


Detail on the top of Church of St John of Nepomuk

All too soon it was time to make our way back to the train station - stopping off first to grab a very delicious ice cream cone...


Nice modern train back to wherever...still don't know! 


Goodbye Kutna Hora...you were pretty and interesting but don't think I'll be back


The train back to Prague...the stairs up to the carriage were a killer....

In the end I enjoyed our day in Kutna Hora...I was ambivalent about going but in the end I felt it was worth it.  We missed out on the bone church (yes a church full of human bones) - the train does stop close by and most of the people on the journey from Prague got off there.   If I had been on my own I likely would have visited it but oh well...Kutna Hora is not super easy to get to with the change in trains but there are enough tourists going that you can probably just follow the "herd".   There are also guided tours that take you there but going on your own is cheaper of course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more