Skip to main content

Beautiful Hever Castle

Hever Castle near Edenbridge, Kent has long been on my "must do" list for a long time but somehow after forty years of travel in Britain I had never managed to get there.  It is famous for being the childhood home of Anne Bolelyn, Henry the VIII's second wife. (chop, chop!)  While in Germany with my friend Claudia I mentioned that I wanted to go and see Hever Castle and she said "I think Janette will want to go with you, she loves Hever"!  Sure enough after I mentioned in a blog post about my desire to visit Hever Janette asked if she could accompany me.  I said "sure" as I wanted to see Janette again and thought it would be fun and a nice chance to visit with her. (and it was!)

We decided on Thursday May 21st and while there was a bit of discussion about which train station was best...Edenbridge Town or Edenbridge we decided on Edenbridge and headed out on the train from London Bridge once the crazy rush hour crowds were over.   Janette was there to meet me in her cute camper van and off we went to Hever.

Some background on Hever Castle...(thanks Janette!)   The oldest part of Hever Castle dates back to 1270.  Thomas Boleyn (the family name then was known as Bullen) inherited the castle in 1505 and lived there with his wife Lady Elizabeth Howard and their children George, Mary and Anne.  Henry VIII often used nearby Bolebroke Castle to conduct his courtship with Anne.   After the death of Anne's father in 1539 the property came into the possession of Henry VIII who bestowed it upon Anne of Cleves as part of their marriage annulment settlement.  It then passed through various owners and gradually fell into disrepair until it was acquired in 1905  by American millionaire William Waldorf Astor who used it as a family residence.  He added the beautiful gardens.  The castle is now owned by a private company and is run as a conference centre and hotel but the castle and grounds are open to the public.

My first impression?  Wow it's small....(remember, I had seen Windsor castle the week before...)




Isnt the topiary gorgeous?  No photos allowed inside the castle...I resisted buying a guide book as just did not want to haul it around and no postcards either but just trust me when I say it was lovely.  You will just have to go and see for yourself now won't you? 

Now onto the gardens....enjoy! 










Then we wandered over to the water maze.  I tried it briefly but it was more fun to watch the others!  The point was to get to the middle without getting wet as the water spurted out from between cement blocks you walked around...



More of the garden and grounds...you could spend all day here...









Absolutely beautiful!  Why didn't I visit before?  Ah well, I've seen it now and I highly recommend it.  Admission price is a bit steep at 16 pounds (two pounds less for 60 plus) but well worth it.  It was a great day out! 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi! Great post, with some absolutely beautiful photos. I've checked out a few of your posts and you definitely seem experienced with all things related to travel.

I work for an app called Foli that provides travelers free access to digital magazines and eBooks. Because you're a frequent globe trotter, I was wondering if you'd like to try our app for free during your travels. All you have to do is request it at a location (such as a hotel, airport, hostel, etc.) using this form: getfoli.com/go. Then, we'll set up the service for you at that location, and you can actively use the app!

The app is always free to travelers, and we work through the businesses themselves so that they can provide it at their location. We'd love for you to try it and let us know what you think! Feedback from travelers such as yourself really helps us improve the app.

You can download the app here: getfoli.com/app
You can request it to be set up here: getfoli.com/go

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions!

Safe travels,
Julia

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more