Skip to main content

A cape, a mount and a fish pie

This past Thursday my pen friend Alison and I made plans to get together. We have written for over twenty years but had ever met - that was soon to change!  Alison, her husband Ken and one of their four dogs (Keisha) drove over from Devon to meet me.  I was so happy that they would even consider that and when she asked if there was someplace special I wanted to see I just said "anything"!  I was just looking forward to meeting her at long last and getting to meet Ken and Keisha as well. 

We headed off towards St Just stopping at  Cape Cornwall.  As you can see it was absolutely stunning.






Even Keisha was impressed! 


  

We then walked back across a field passing a structure that must have been a place of worship at some time....I love old ruins...it reminded me of the ruins of crofts in Scotland.....only with a cross!






All that walking in the brisk sea air makes you a bit peckish so it was off for a pub lunch in St Just....

Fish pie made from fresh Newlyn fish...delicious
We then headed over to Marazion (just outside Penzance) where St Michaels Mount sits...this place is a confusing story of history and myths.  It was said that a mythical giant named Cormoran once lived on the Mount, and he used to wade ashore stealing cows and sheep from the villagers to feed his gargantuan appetite.  One night, a local boy called Jack rowed out to the island and dug a deep pit while the giant was asleep. As the sun rose, Jack blew a horn to wake the angry giant who staggered down from the summit and – blinded by the sunlight – fell into the pit and died.

It is said that fishermen saw a vision of Archangel Michael around 495 AD.  Benedictine Monks were granted ownership in 1070 and a stone church was built on the site in the next century.  It has had many owners and incarnations over the years and it is now privately owned however the National Trust oversees the running of it. 

It has the unique situation of being on an island in the sea...only accessible during high tide by boat or in the winter....a large amphibian type vehicle that goes in and out of water.  Luckily it was low tide and we were able to walk out to see it on the causeway.  It wasn't open that day but we were still able to walk around some of the grounds. 

St Michael'sMount ...looking quite formidable

Heading out on the causeway to the island

Looking back towards Marazion





Time to head back!
 We then headed back to St Ives and all too soon it was time to say goodbye to my friends..what a wonderful day it was.  Thanks again Alison and Ken!!! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more