Skip to main content

Reporting in..two months on the road

Two months ago today I left Regina for this big adventure.  It has been an amazing journey so far.  Except for two weeks in January I have spent my time in London.  That has always been the plan.  I am not tired of this city yet...I still marvel at it every day and am loving the fact I have the time to explore it in more depth. 

Beds slept in during the last month:  seven - I was with Emma until the 12th when I moved down to the Kings Hotel in Brighton for three nights, then six nights at the Turim Suisse Atlantico hotel in Lisbon, seven nights at Jorge and Andrea's place near Funchal in Madeira, three nights at the St David's Hotel in Paddington, London and now here... at Janet and Paul's in Brockley,  SE London.  Favorite place?  Definitely in Madeira.  Our room suited our needs and we had a fantastic view - Jorge could not do enough for us. I guess the only down side was it was quite far out of town but accessible by bus.   I really do enjoy airbnb rentals.  The hotel in Lisbon was a great one though and was in a central location - ideal really.  (thanks Pat!). After the shock arrival in Lisbon it was nice to have a comfortable room to relax in. 


The view from our balcony

Jorge's home - our balcony was the one in the middle. 

 
High point:  Definitely Madeira...I absolutely loved it there and I do intend to go back.  Probably not for a few years and by then I probably won't be walking any levadas but I will have a good time anyway.  In our week there we barely scratched the surface so I am thinking at least two weeks next time. 

Low point:  When my airport bus hit the woman in Lisbon..it still haunts me.  Enough said.

Best meal:  Hmmm... that's a hard one.  Can I say the custard tarts in Lisbon?  And I can find them in London as well so that's a good thing.  I first had one in Toronto in Little Portugal where my niece once lived and I sampled quite a few while in Lisbon but the two (yep, two) hot and fresh ones I got in Belem (the home of them) were the best by far,    


Regrets?  None. Okay that's a lie....I am not keeping up a personal journal at all... not too late I know and I should be doing more blog posts as well.  I plan to get a book made of the blog posts from my time here (which I do for all blog posts anyway) so it's for me as well... but the journal is the one I regret the most... day to day stuff and things I am thinking about that I don't put on the blog.

No home sickness yet - I still wake up eager to explore.  For now I am in London until near the end of the month and then I move to St Ives in Cornwall for a few days. I can't wait to be by the sea again and I got a great deal on a sweet looking bed and breakfast there. (because who is crazy enough to go to Cornwall in February)  From there who knows..any ideas are welcome!   I am going to Turkey later in March which was booked before I set off on this journey but as of yet I haven't booked flights.  I hope to get at that in the next couple of days. I think I am so busy here that I don't have time to settle down and think about it and the choice is overwhelming.  I am already realizing there is not time to do everything I want to do.   There will be more activity coming up - this will be my last time spending three weeks in the same place.  However I am totally enjoying it but I really do need to tidy up my room.  Another task for my rest day today!

My friend June joined me in Madeira then flew back to London with me where we spent a few days.  We went to the annual Destinations travel show here which was amazing and got the wanderlust going full steam - I nearly got talked into a trip to Abu Dhabi - I said nearly!  I do want to visit the "real" Arabia though someday but probably on the way to somewhere else like India or Sri Lanka.  (from London of course)  I saw three shows in one week here in London:  "Miss Saigon", "War Horse" (both with June) and "Sunny Afternoon"... all were wonderful....tonight it's "Swan Lake" at the Royal Opera House.  Due to finances I could only afford a seat in the nosebleed section and it says narrow steep stairs - oh goodie, my favorite.  I think that will be end of my night life for a while now.  The new Carole King musical "Beautiful" is on the list though but that can wait a month or two.  I will be seeing Eric Clapton and the Beach Boys at the Royal Albert Hall in May so am looking forward to that.

The area I am staying here in London is great - no tube service but there are two overground stations nearby that take me to Elephant and Castle and London Bridge respectively.  As well as long journeys by bus - I have taken both buses from here into central London just because they are there... and I wanted to see more of London. 

So many walks around here to do yet and I have taken the opportunity while I am in the South East to explore Hackney and Brixton. 

Broadway Market, Hackney on a rainy dreary day - note the pissed off looking dog 
Five miles by five miles I am doing the Thames Path.  I have made a decision that I will not finish it... it's just not possible this trip and I am not keen on wandering around in the countryside on my own.  Not because I am afraid of the big bad wolf but because I can get lost in a paper bag and I know I would end up god knows where.... and my arthritis will only get worse.  I think if I can get back to doing my 10 km walks I will be happy.  So the half marathons are over too... but I sure had fun doing them. So I will likely go as far as Windsor or Henley and call it a day.  And that's okay. 



I need to talk more about Madeira and Lisbon on the blog as well before I move on to the next place and they get left behind....

It will be interesting and fun to see how the next month unfolds.  London, Cornwall and a mystery destination... what will it be?  Beats me!   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more