Skip to main content

Fun in the Fort

Well it's  been a few days since I've had a chance to blog with one thing and the other...so here I am again.  I will try to catch myself up since I posted on Saturday...

Sunday morning I walked over to Avenue G, a coffee shop that Syiniyi and David are fond of.  I had the eggs crocette with scones and "pour over" coffee.  It was good but not something I'd have again...the coffee was excellent though.  I am getting to like good coffee I must admit.  From there I went for a little walk around the area and got myself misplaced and had to be directed back to Byers Road!!  I enjoyed my little wander though.  I love the West End of Glasgow however and would definitely stay there again.  Syiniyi and David are a cute couple and David loved to chat so learned a lot about Glasgow and Glaswegians from him.  The flat was nice and my room was huge - I'd definitely stay there again if I return to Glasgow. 

I got my luggage and headed to the subway station and there was David waiting for me...I had left a connection for a memory card there.  So nice of him.  Anyway I got to Queen St. station, grabbed a cappuccino at Costa Coffee.  Turns out the others were sitting not far from me and I didn't even notice.  Anyway off we went to Fort William.  The four hour journey was made even longer by partiers on the train.  Luckily I had my MP3 player so listened to music and read as I was sitting on my own.  Upon arrival June and I took the luggage by taxi to the B and B which was out in the country then came back and  met the others.  We had a brief look around in the town then went to the Ben Nevis pub for supper.  I had three mini pies - beef, chicken and ham with mashed potatoes and leeks and cabbage.  And a beer....It was good although I could only get barely half way through my pint.  I am just not a beer drinker really; I prefer wine.  But being in Scotland I feel I should try the local sauce.

Back to the B & B  - we had all picked up tiny bottles of wine so we gathered in our triple room and drank our wine and visited. 

The next morning we had a breakfast of sausage, bacon, eggs, mushrooms and toast. (the others had tomato and beans but I like my beans steaming hot and I am awfully fussy about my tomatoes...)  Then off we went to the station, June and I dropped our luggage off at our new bed and breakfast.

The Jacobite steam train was great fun and the weather was lovely - we were so lucky.  If we didn't close the windows when we went through tunnels though we got speckles of coal all over the place!  It was such a beautiful journey - well it is supposed to be THE most beautiful railway journey in the world.  I did this trip once before in 1994 but it was on a normal train - not a steam powered one.  Here are a few of the photos I took along the way....





Shovelling coal at Mallaig

Glenfinnan Viaduct - used in Harry Potter movies but I saw it before the hype!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more