Skip to main content

A weekend in Canada's capital

Well I have been very tardy in doing this report - I was in Ottawa two weeks ago and I am finally sitting down to do a blog post on it.

Of course the highlight was seeing Paul but it was fun to see my friends and see Ottawa again.  Rather than yacking about it I will tell you about it in pictures...



Cuddling with Sr John A. MacDonald  (Canada's first Prime Minister) at the airport. 

Some of the flowers in my friend Dorri''s fabulous garden...it has to be seen to be believed!!












Due to the heat and humidity we didn't do as much walking as I had wanted to but we did do three 5 km walks.  One to the liquor store to get some wine coolers!! :)  We did a group walk organized by the local Volkssport group which was in a residential area in the south end of the city.  After the walk we headed downtown and had lunch at The Works - a gourmet hamburger joint.  Yum!!  I'd show you the burger but I didn't take a picture.  You could even get a peanut butter hamburger - I resisted.  We then went to the Museum of Nature.  I had wanted to see the Wildlife photos that were on display and while they were beautiful there weren't too many.  I was really impressed by all the "rocks"  - oops mainly quartz as I was told by a geologist friend of mine.  Aren't they beautiful?

 










I then had to pose with the mammoth outside!!!


The next evening was the reason I had flown to Ottawa - the Macca Man!!  Okay, okay I know I am seeing him in Regina but a gal always has to have a backup plan.

Me after picking up my ticket at the box office - do I look happy? 


I was in the fifth row (thanks Pat!) so was thrilled to bits.

Do I look even happier?

 



An 81 year old woman who was brought up on stage for a hug (and kiss) from Paul.  She said it was her dream come true!!!!   Paul is so good to his fans...



 Crap photos...I am hoping for better ones in Regina...my new Panasonic is good for outdoors but not for low light.   If not oh well...I enjoy the show and there are lots of photos floating around the internet.  It was a very enjoyable evening and I got to see my buds Pat and Vickie.  I am never happier than when I am at a Paul concert.   Some people get so bent out of shape because I see so many concerts - like it is any of their damn business.  I love being 61 and bopping at Paul concerts. (or any one come to think of it)  Who wants to "grow up"?  Not me! 

The next morning my friend Donna and I went downtown for a 5 km walk to see all the tourist sights that I have seen before...but I had to see the Houses of Parliament again as well as a few favourite places.  What is the point of going to Ottawa otherwise...I could be in any suburb in Canada...


Rideau canal

Now Ottawa has this lame locks on a bridge idea...give me strength...combinations? 

National War Memorial

National War Memorial with Chateau Laurier in background

Oh yeah!

The Peace Tower

View from behind the Parliament Bldgs - this is the library.  I've been inside - fabulous!

Maman with the basilica in the background.

One must have a Beaver Tail when in Ottawa
Sunshine and Ben off to doggie class

On my way home - I got upgraded to Executive class.  I loved it!!!! 
All in all a great trip to Ottawa.  Thanks to my friends Donna and Dorri for hosting me and to Dorri for driving me to get my ticket, driving us to the concert, etc.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more