Skip to main content

Goodbye Columbus!!!

Isn't that the name of a movie with Ali McGraw?  Hmmm...anyway my last day in Columbus.  It's been good but Columbus didn't grab me like Indianapolis did...I can't see me coming back but then again they do have a highly regarded marathon....never say never.  Oh how I have learned that!!!

My foot and knees let me know this morning that another walk was definitely not on.  Okay by me.  I did go to the start point of the walk and get both copies of the walk and see if I could possibly combine them but thought "nah...".  It was a cool dull day today.  I did follow a bit of the route around downtown a bit.  I met a rather strange fellow in front of the State Capital and he said "who are you voting for".  I said 'I can't vote, I'm Canadian".  He said "you are not" and I said "am so".  He then said "well Canada is only about four hours away"  - like that would make me be able to vote. :)  I said "well my part of Canada is further" so he said "Winnipeg" (which kind of impressed me actually)  I said no "Regina, Saskatchewan" and listened to him try to say it.  I then said "but if I could vote I'd vote for Obama" and he smiled and gave me the peace sign.  I love meeting characters like that.  Then I walked over to the Veterans Hall where they had the international festival.  It was 7 dollars to get in and it was okay...the entertainment was pretty good.  They sold ethnic food so I had a small piece of baklava for a dollar and that was it.  I did buy one item as a gift but that was it.  There were a lot of vendors hawking their wares that's for sure and others trying to collect for charity.  I felt bad refusing but I support my own charities at home.  I saw some young East Indian dancers and then a belly dancing club got on stage.  Most of the ladies were plus sizes and I must admit my first reaction was "well I don't look that bad at least" and then I was just amazed by their happiness and self confidence.  Awesome.  We women should celebrate our bodies the way they are and be happy as we are.  Some people behind me were snickering and I felt like saying "you get up there in front of an audience then".  I've heard belly dancing is really good exercise but the thought of me in a belly dancing costume...well it ain't a pretty thought but like I say some of those ladies were 250 to 300 plus pounds and just glowed with happiness.   Hmmmm....

Here is a view from outside the arena back towards downtown with Harleys in the foreground...



I walked across the road to COSI which is the Centre of Science and Industry - a Science Centre.  It also had 3D films which is what I went for - I was able to purchase just a film ticket so saw "Meerkats" which was just adorable.  I enjoyed every minute of it - I adore meerkats!!!  They have a matriach who runs the show and she is the only one allowed to get knocked up.  She banished one of her daughters who got pregnant by her brother (and they don't even live in Kentucky) - it had a happy ending as all the stress made Miss Bean (yes the film makers gave them names but don't worry they didn't do that thing making them talk - man I hate that) lose her babies so she appeared back in the fold with her family and all was forgiven.  I love happy endings!!! 

From there I walked a few blocks to get a bus to the Short North area again.  I looked in the shops and got another gift then on to Jeni's ice cream AGAIN...oh man it is so good.  It's made from all natural ingredients.  I once again split my order and had Poached Pear Reisling Sorbet and Spiced Pumpkin.  Oh my...


Of course this was dessert first so then I had to have dinner.  I finally made it to Surly Girl Saloon which Tabitha had recommended.   I had a Salty Wench drink which was vodka and pink grapefruit juice - it was the special - and it was pretty good.  Tabitha had recommend the Surly Girl pizza so I had it and OH MY GOD one of the best pizzas I've ever had.  Gorgonza, red onions, cranberries, pecans, three cheeses and drizzled with balsamic vinegar.  The combination of salt and sweet...oh my my my.  Feast your eyes....it was to die for. 


The Surly Girl saloon was really decorated for Hallowe'en. 



Above is the house I am staying at.  No one is home right now - not even the cats are bugging me.  Usually Domino and Jack come in to snoop around and sit on my lap.  Or twirl around my legs which I really really hate.

Tomorrow morning I take the megabus to Chicago and then the train to Springfield.  I have 45 minutes between bus and train and I have a feeling I will miss the train as I have found out Megabus tends to run late...it will let me off right by the Amtrak station in Chicago so we shall see.  I will arrive into Springfield either late or very late so no blog posts tomorrow night!! 

Tuesday will see me doing the 10km walk and visiting the Lincoln musuem and in the evening rooting for Obama.  I am getting way too involved in this election and it's not even my country!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more