Skip to main content

Okay I am getting restless!

I am itching to get on the road.  Not that I don't have a good life here...I do - a very full busy one in fact.  However when you have wanderlust it's hard to stay in one place too long....(unless it's London of course!!!) Yesterday I got my toiletries together for the next trip - they are packed into my suitcase and in (the little plastic bag) my day pack.  When it comes to my travel life I am anally organized - the rest of my life?  Complete chaos!  I even have toiletries in a baggie ready for Cambodia....sun tan lotion - check, bug spray - check, antibiotics - check, etc. 

Monty the Greyhound is ready to hit the road!
I am a bit frustrated at the moment as I can't do any recreational walking.  I was out walking last Sunday at Regina Beach with my walking club and about km 14 my foot started hurting BADLY.  Luckily I had an appointment with my podiatrist (a miracle as I only go about every three months) so he taped up my foot and gave me strict instructions to not walk for a week.  Well rather hard to do when you don't have a car so I took that to mean no "fun" walking as in around the lake or anything longer than twenty minutes or so....I have lots of walking planned for this trip so my foot better behave itself so for that reason I am restraining myself...it's hard as walking is so much a part of my life.  I blew my wad and got a new pair of New Balance walking shoes.   They are black and ugly but so darn comfortable and have more support.  I love New Balance shoes for walking - I won't wear anything else now.(plug plug..do you think they will send me a free pair?  Nah...doubt it!!!)

I guess it's a good thing the trip to Victoria was cancelled as I would be due to take part in another half marathon today and that would be a real dilemma....dropping out of Surf City in February still hurts. I guess it's a beautiful weekend in Victoria...of course.  However it looks like things worked out for the best.

I will be in Indianapolis for their marathon expo...oh dear.. I love marathon expos and all the goodies they have there.  I resisted doing their half marathon as they have a pretty strict time limit for the first 10km anyway.  And reading the reviews the traffic control is horrendous and several people nearly got hit last year...being as I would be at the back of the pack it would probably be me...no thanks.  And it's not on "the list". No I haven't started a program of doing a half marathon in every province or state - just doing a simple walk is enough for me!  However I do hope to do more half marathons and there are a few American ones I do want to do.  The Cincinnati Flying Pig,  Jackson, Mississippi Blues marathon, San Antonio Rock & Roll and more spring to mind!! 

My transport (aside from fly into Chicago and out of St. Louis) will involve Greyhound. Megabus and Amtrak.  The first bus trip (Chicago to Frankfort, Kentucky) has already been purchased as the cheaper rates are available three weeks ahead/   I have never traveled by train in the U.S. so my travels from Chicago down to Springfield and on to Jefferson City and St. Louis will be a first for me on the Amtrak system.  Should be interesting.  Jefferson City is only accessible by train and Springfield's bus depot is way out in the boonies whereas I can walk from the Amtrak station to my hotel.  I am excited to try Megabus as well.  (which works out to be cheaper than Greyhound) Wifi on board - woohoo!!! 

Anyway back to doing some trip research - google maps and google streetview are my friends!!!  

Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more