Skip to main content

Waiting for October!

My favourite place to be in the good weather.
Well time is going quickly and I am enjoying this summer so much.  I spend as much time as I can on my balcony which I absolutely adore.   I just finished a three week stint of full time work but now that is over with.  Now it will be three days a week then next month back to two days a week.  Yippee!!!  I do love summers in Saskatchewan and am keeping busy.  In another post I will spill all on the things I have been up to.

But this is travel news.  I have now finalized all the details on my midwestern trip in October.  I fly down to Chicago on Wednesday October 17th where I will be taking care of my friend's dog Casper from October 20th to 27th.  I will go a couple of days early to get him used to me and spend time with my friends there.  I look forward to lots of doggie walkies, eyeballing the firemen in the fire hall across the street and exploring Chicago at my leisure. Then on Monday the 29th I head off to Springfield, Illinois and do the walk there and visit the Abraham Lincoln museum.  Then on to Jefferson City, Missouri - another walk there.  Oh this is NOT the hound but Amtrak!  Jefferson City is not served by the Greyhound - only train service so decided to do the train the whole way down.  That will be fun for a change.  Then onto St. Louis overnight.  I have been to St. Louis and really liked it and if you can like a city when it is crippled after an ice/snow storm well you know it's true love. :)  I will redo the walk there under hopefully more pleasant circumstances. (ie: not wading through piles of thick slushy snow)  I wish I had more time to spend in St. Louis than just one day but alas it's not to be this time.   I will take the night bus to Frankfort, Kentucky where, yes I will do the walk there.  Do you see a theme here?  Yes except for St. Louis - I am visiting all capital cities.   On to Indianapolis for two nights and then back home.  I was able to get a flight home for just under $200 - I am still in shock.  I will fly home on November 5th.  I am really excited about seeing more of the midwest.  Originally I had hoped to visit Columbus, Ohio and Charleston W.V. but due to finances and time I have decided to forego those for the time being.  But I will get there someday!!!  I am making this 50 state walking thing a lifetime project  - there is no rush.   There are too many other places in the world to explore as well.  Another reason for cutting short this trip - I must have my winter holiday.  But talk about that will have to wait for a while.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more