Skip to main content

Bonjour!



Lower town Quebec City - reminds me of England!


Well this is the last day of my trip....I have mixed feelings.  Sad to leave my life of adventure on one hand but eager to get back to real life, see friends and start saving for the next adventure - or should I say paying for this one. :) 

Of course me being me I won't be home for long - will be flying off to Edmonton for a long weekend at the end of the month.  My sister is moving to Toronto this summer so this will likely be my last trip to Edmonton - I have a soft spot for the city having lived there for a year in the early 70's going to school...plus  be good to see my sister too. :) 

After that...who knows..,nothing booked.  But I am sure there will be eventually!!! 

This morning I availed myself of the free buffet breakfast but I paced myself and did not take very much as I knew I wanted to nibble during the day.  The breakfast was in a very nice restaurant around the corner and was delicious - the usual eggs, bacon, crepes, etc. 

On the way down to lower town...
Espresso and macarons.  Ah.....
Back up we go!  Yes I was too lazy to walk up the stairs and it was only $2!!! 
Mural with historical figures and modern day together.
Another view of the mural
Petit de Champlain - Lower town
I then set off to walk around the lower town - took the furnicular both ways to give my knees a break.  Looked in the shops and saw the huge mural depicting Quebec's 400 year history. I love this mural as it depicts all the historical figures with Quebec residents today. All very familiar from 7 years ago. This was the original townsite as it is right by the river...I passed by a boulangerie and just had to have a couple of macarons - a chocolate one and an orange one - such intense flavours.  So tiny, so expensive but oh so good....had an espresso with it and sat and relaxed.  Ah......I'd bring some home to share but they would not make it for two reasons 1)  I'd probably eat them and if I didn't do that 2)  they would crumble as they are so delicate.  Oh lovely lovely - memories of Paris... Back up on the furnicular and walked around the Old Town. I do love Quebec City - beautiful buildings and such history.  It is really a must see.  I think it would be very beautiful in the winter as well - but oh so cold.  My hotel is on a lovely street - even the horse drawn carriages go by.  I am so happy that I treated myself to this hotel.  It seems everywhere you turn there is a photo opportunity. 

I am back to finish up packing and relax a bit.  Then I will check out and roam the streets for a couple of hours.  Pick up a baguette for the plane trip.  I change planes in Ottawa.  I will get the hotel to call me a taxi once I find out how long it takes to get to the airport.  I know I flew out of here in 05 but absolutely no memory of it......except my luggage not making it home!!! 

After my last disaster with suitcases I brought my favourite.  A black duffle bag that is slightly bigger than carry on.  I bought it about six years ago one Xmas when I was working at Sears - with huge sales and my employee discount I don't think I paid more than $20 for it and it was regular $125 or so.  It is a Roots bag and good quality.  It seems to hold so much yet is not bulky - I have been looking for something to take it's place when it finally goes on me...but nothing yet.  I may just have to be creative and take less on my overseas trips so I can take this with me.

Beautiful day with blue sky....very enjoyable so off I go to wander and photograph for my last few hours of a wonderful holiday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more