Skip to main content

Crash bang cha cha cha

Yes it was rattling and rolling here and still is from time to time.  Burlington is under a tornado watch with flash flooding warning as well.  Major bummer as I had hoped to do a 5 km walk this afternoon when I got here.

Anyway I am getting ahead of myself here.  Got a taxi to the bus station due to two bus changes on busy Ottawa busses - got there in loads of time and the bus to Montreal was a little late leaving.  Enjoyed the pretty scenery - lots of trees.  I have not done that trip since 1973!!  Time to visit the washroom in Montreal then on the bus to Vermont.  The border crossing was long as usual - I got through quickly then waited on the bus forever.  The U.S. border guard had taken his grumpy pills that morning - I don't have much luck with border guards in the eastern U.S.  Disovered there was wifi so sent a quick facebook message but quickly put my computer away as like to watch the scenery. 

Arrived at the Burlington airport which is where the terminal is - I realized I had no American coins with me and the fare was 1.25 so asked the tourist info guy if he had change and he said no but gave me 25 cents which was sweet.  Had to take three busses to get to the motel!!  But I did not want another expensive taxi ride as it would be about $25.00.  My last bus change was downtown and according to the schedule the next bus would not be for 20 minutes so I went into a sandwich shop and got a tuna sandwich.  I am so glad I did!!!  It had poured while on the second bus but luckily stopped when I got downtown.  The bus drivers were very friendly and helpful - the third bus driver called me a "young lady".  He was my favourite. :) 

The motel is a mom and pop type place and quite cute.  I had plans to ditch my stuff and go for a walk but checked the forecast as heard rumblings and saw the forecast. Oh well I have a TV and wifi and an ereader so won't be bored. I have a cute little deck as well.  It keeps raining on and off - pouring again right now.  Not good for walking!  This place is not too far out of downtown but I am not familiar enough yet and it is raining on and off with scary lightening and thunder coming through on and off.  I am not that crazy!

Planning to go to Montpelier (the capital) tomorrow - the last commuter bus leaves at 7:45 so have to get downtown by then.  Will have breakfast in Montpelier and then do the 7 km walk.  Was going to do the 10 km but decided to do the shorter walk so I can tour the state capital and also visit the state musuem.  It will be my only trip there I am sure.   Then Thursday I will do the 8 km walk here which takes me along the lake front (Lake Champlain) and downtown.  I hope to go on a lake cruise weather permitting....

Fingers crossed no tornadoes.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more