Skip to main content

Market day

Well I am in the internet cafe for the first time - one that I've used lots in the past. So far I've crashed one computer so we will see how this goes.
This morning I headed over to Brick Lane and Spitalfields markets which are in the east end of London. I got there a few minutes before the Backgarden market opened so I walked along Brick Lane and got a bagel and cream cheese from the Beigel Bake. It is just one of those things I do - they aren't to die for bagels or anything - they are good but.... so have decided that is my last one. It wasn't busy at that time- later when I wandered by the line was out the door. I then went over to the market and got a gift for the lady who is watching my apartment and got myself a funky mouse necklace. Sadly the fellow who did the coasters I loved so much has left the market - the fellow who told me that was selling coasters as well so I bought a couple of his. These were cute but the typical ones with cork on the back - I loved the glass ones but oh well. I need more coasters like a hole in the head but oh well what can I say they are my "thing". I went through the food area of one market and noticed they had momos....oh dear. I wasn't hungry so carried on walking around and over to Spitalfields market - but resisted tempation. I really haven't bought much on this trip at all - I am impressed with myself. I think it's the thought of dragging it all home again that is stopping me!
Anyway I walked over to the Spitalfields City Farm but it was closed so said hello to the adorable donkeys through the fence. Lots of artistic graffiti on walls and doors so my camera was busy. It's a very unique area and I would really recommend any visitor to London to visit Brick Lane on a Sunday. I'd say go in the early afternoon - more crowded but also more vendors.
By then I was ready for some momo's - I asked for one of each - there were deep fried and steamed with veggies, chicken, pork and lamb. I got to pick my sauces as well and enjoyed them so much but I had to leave some as was just too full. I went back to tell the couple how much I enjoyed them and we had a short chat - they are from Tibet and have lived in London for nearly ten years. They were interested to hear where I was from in Canada - a lovely couple. As any Tibetans I have met are.
I then hopped on a bus bound for Hackney Wick just to see where it went - well ended up by what they call here a flyover (freeway overpass) I don't think that's what they meant by a wick but still have to find that out. The Olympic stuff was just over the flyover but couldn't see it and absolutely no interest anyway. I crossed the street and hopped a bus heading back and got off at Somerset House to photograph the skaters. They have an ice skating rink there until late January - as do the Tower of London and Natural History Musuem to name a couple but theirs close today. I walked over Waterloo bridge and photographed the Thames then onto the South Bank. All sorts of buskers and people dressed as statues. A fellow had his head through a box and was barking and meowing - it was stupid but struck me as hilarious. Must have been the mood I was in. I had to videotape him. Reminded me of the fellow who was pretending to be a dog a few years ago and had his head sticking out of a kennel - I video taped him too. Then I walked across the pedestrian bridge to Charring Cross station and then over into Covent Garden. Looked in a few shops - you name it they've got it. I went into M & S and got another pkg of knickers to stash away. I once again walked around the food hall and drooled over the brussel sprouts - I am sick I know...
I briefly thought about doing a walking tour of Soho but to be honest after walking all day the last thing I want to do is go on a two hour walking tour - plus while it was fairly mild today it really gets cold at night. So I will hang out here for a bit then head back to my room and organize things. Somehow I have misplaced the mouse for my netbook - only I can misplace something in a tiny room like that....it's a gift what can I say....
And on the bright side my feet were much better today...here's hoping they hang in there for tomorrow....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more