Skip to main content

Victoria & Albert & doggies

Well after a very horrible night - my cold having gotten worse - I did not get up in time for breakfast. After a hot shower I did feel a bit better and even better now. I got the tube to South Kensington and joined a walking tour of the Victoria & Albert musuem which is a museum of textiles, ornaments, etc. It was interesting and I am glad I did it - I have been to the V & A museum before a few times but it is impossible to absorb everything in one visit. The guide just picked a few highlights of course but it was very informative. In the afternoon I went to Battersea dogs home again - a trek I do every time I visit London - and paid my pound to visit the doggies. Always breaks my heart in two but I stop and talk to each one of the dogs and say their name and make a fuss. Maybe a bit longer for the cute ones! Generally they rush to the front of the cage with tails wagging and it is so hard but you are not allowed to pet them because of spreading disease. But they are so excited to have someone speak to them - a few just slept and that was sad and there was an Akita that came up to the bars and had the saddest look I have ever seen in a dog's eyes. I teared up then that's for sure. Why the hell do people go to breeders and pay big bucks for their pedigree purebreds when a visit to the local animal shelter will give them as beautiful a dog - probably better - for a fraction of the price and knowing they are saving a life and NOT adding to the pet overpopulation which you do when you insist on buying a purebred. And who cares if its a mutt - my Sandy was a mutt and she was fantastic and beautiful and I liked the fact that there weren't a lot of dogs like her running around. Enough of my rant - for today that is.

Anyway....yesterday (Thursday) I did get some energy and did part of a walk from Muswell Hill to Hampstead Heath via Highgate Village. All very interesting - loved it actually especially Highgate Village and peering into the very spooky Highgate cemetery. Lots of gorgeous old houses.

Oliver! was wonderful. Rowan Atkinson was very good as Fagan - he was hilarious in parts and even pulled out a teddy bear - aka Mr. Bean. It was a fantastic production and had me wanting to belt out 'Consider Yourself' nonstop on the tube ride home.

Seems to be warming up here...yay! By Monday should be back to normal temperatures. Good. Yesterday in Hampstead Heath I had to tell a couple of fellows not to go on the ice - told them there's no way it would hold their weight. It seems everyone is so excited to see ice as it's so rare here and they have no clue how long it takes to get thick enough to hold a human or dog's body. (a dog has drowned and several have had to be rescued) I am just grateful that there is no snow.

Hopefully I still have a place to stay as I think I snored the house down last night - everytime I woke up (lots) I had been snoring and with my cold it is always worse.

Back to the B & B in a bit to watch a double episode of Coronation Street - woo hoo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peeing on fish or a fish out of water

Well this morning we headed off by boat to Siem Reap.  Due to the low water on the Tonie Sap Lake (more like a river until near the end of the trip when it widened considerably) the trip would be an 8 hour one... It was supposed to be boring but ended up as anything but...in no certain order...let's see.... We had a rest stop (turned out to be the only one) along the way and the loo was just a hole over the lake and there were fish circling around underneath.  Yes it was just a hole in the floor...you definitely had someone watch your stuff while you went in or one false move and your camera/purse or whatever would be in the lake.  The fish either like the warm pee coming in or they are pervs and like to see ladies parts.  We were just a few minutes out when all of a sudden there was something flying over me and jumping all over the floor - a little fish!  Guess he wanted to join the tour.  Roger reached down and scooped him up while I hooted and hollered.  Okay it wasn&#

A walk along the coffin trail (and a couple of lakes) in the Lake District

While in the Lake District I wanted to do some light walking but not heavy duty hiking where I could easily get lost and my body not found for days partially eaten by hungry...sheep?  Anyway, you get the drift...not too grueling and safe for a solo walker.  I get a bit nervous when I am too far from civilization. There are lots of books about walking in the Lake District but they seem to be all about walking the fells in remote places...neither Thelma nor I fancied that.  While browsing in the post office/shop in Ambleside one day (if you are ever in Ambleside you must go there - a treasure!) I found a stand of walk descriptions on post cards.  And there I found my walk.  After all who could resist a stroll on the "coffin trail" in William Wordsworth country... I took a look and thought hmm...cafe along the route...that works for me. (with at least the security of knowing there was an available "loo" along the way.)  Okay, I may not have totally followed the

The highlights of my Fall 2023 trip

I'm back home after a great six weeks away. This was a "short" trip for me.  So here we go with an overview of my trip.   London London for me is always a good idea.  I fell in love with it back in the mid 70's and it's been calling me back ever since. Some of the best things in my life have happened in London.  When I learned my two Oz friends Loraine and Linda were going to be in London in the fall I knew I had to be there.  And what fun we had!!  Of course, I did loads of other things as well.  I spent two weeks there from mid September until very early October and then back again for four nights at the end of October before flying home.   After over five years (delayed for two and a half years thanks to Covid) of walking, I finally finished the 126 km Capital Ring.  The picture above is taken at the end of my walk and where I started in May of 2018 at the main door of Streatham Common station just steps from my B and B.  What a walk!  I got to see so much more